Whether you're choosing a wine to accompany a vegetable side dish or a vegetarian main meal, it's important for you to consider the following.
Top Tips for Vegetables
- Strength of flavor - the wine you select should have roughly the same strength of flavor as the vegetable dish. Stronger flavors like tomato can benefit from soft reds and rich whites, while crisp, Summery salads would work well with light, dry white wines.
- Sauces or dressings - like Pasta and rice-based dishes, it's often not the vegetable you are matching but the sauce or other ingredients in the dish. Here are some wine matches for the most popular vegetarian dishes.
- Ratatouille or Vegetable Stew – tomato-based sauces work well with rich, inexpensive reds.
- Vegetable Pies or Pasties – try a rich, full-bodied Chardonnay.
- Vegetarian Burgers – fruity reds from the New World or the South of France are great choices.