There's one golden rule for matching a wine to your pudding or dessert: go for something sweeter than the dessert. But with so many possible combinations of dessert, you'll need a little more guidance than that. Here are our top tips.
Wines for Desserts
- Fortified Reds – most of us love chocolate and if you're having a very chocolaty dessert try a sweet fortified red or an Orange Muscat.
- Champagne – fantastic with lighter meringue, gateaux and strawberry based desserts.
- Pedro Ximénez – the sweetest style of Sherry and perfect drizzled over good Vanilla Ice Cream.
- Sauternes and Muscat – great choices for a simple fruit tart.
- Sparkling wine, Cava or Prosecco – fantastic with fruit or sorbet.